Which of the Current NFL Franchises Have Never Won an MVP Award? How Close Did Those Teams Get from Winning a League MVP Award?
Hello Everyone! Welcome to Sports Teller! Today, we will be going over the latest news involving the Which NFL Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award? In fact, we will be going over the teams that have indeed won the League MVP Award. Without further adieu, let’s begin!
Which NFL Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award?
Which NFL Franchises Have Yet to Receive an MVP Award?
As of 2022, only seven teams have not won the League MVP Award: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals, New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Houston Texans. Out of those seven teams, only the Jaguars and Jets have never had a candidate finished as a finalist for the MVP voting process (NFC vs. AFC era).
All Player Stats Courtesy of Football Reference
Did the Buccaneers Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2021, QB Tom Brady was a finalist for the NFL’s Top Player Award. The soon-to-be Hall of Famer threw 5,316 passing yards along with 43 touchdowns. With the NFL Awards around the corner, there’s a chance that Brady could become the first Buccaneer to win the MVP.
Did the Saints Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2018, Saints QB Drew Brees became a finalist for the NFL MVP Award for the third time of his career. The Saints legend compiled with 3,992 passing yards in addition to 32 touchdowns. Unfortunately, Brees went on to lose the NFL MVP battle to Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes.
- In 2011, Drew Brees was a finalist for the league’s most valuable player. He spent the season with 5,476 passing yards and scored 46 touchdowns. Despite his best efforts, Brees lost the MVP race to Packers QB Aaron Rodgers.
- In 2009, Drew Brees became a finalist for the NFL MVP Award. The Saints legend compiled with 4,388 passing yards in addition to 34 touchdowns. Unfortunately, Brees went on to lose the NFL MVP battle to Colts QB Peyton Manning.
Did the Eagles Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2017, Philadelphia QB Carson Wentz was a finalist for the NFL’s Top Player Award. The Eagle threw 3,296 passing yards along with 33 touchdowns. However, Wentz ended up losing the voting process to Tom Brady of the New England Patriots.
- In 2000, Eagles QB Donavan McNabb was that season’s finalist for the league’s most valuable player. He had 3,365 passing yards and scored 21 touchdowns. Despite his best efforts, McNabb lost the MVP race to Rams RB Marshall Faulk.
- In 1990, Philadelphia QB Randall Cunningham was a finalist for the NFL’s Top Player Award. The Eagle threw 3,466 passing yards along with 30 touchdowns. However, Cunningham finished as a runner-up to 49ers QB Joe Montana.
- In 1988, Cunningham was that season’s finalist for the MVP award. He threw 3,808 passing yards and delivered 24 touchdowns. However, Cunningham lost the MVP race to QB Boomer Esiason of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Did the Cardinals Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2015, Cardinals QB Carson Palmer became a finalist for the NFL MVP Award. The Arizona product compiled with 4,671 passing yards in addition to 35 touchdowns. Unfortunately, Palmer went on to lose the NFL MVP battle to Panthers QB Cam Newton.
Did the Texans Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2014, Houston DE J.J. Watt was a finalist for the NFL’s Top Player Award. The Texan made 20.5 sacks along with 59 solo tackles in 16 game splayed. However, Watt finished as the runner-up to QB Aaron Rodgers of the Packers.
How Many NFL Teams Have Indeed Won the League MVP Award?
Numbers Placed to Each Team Indicates How Many MVP Awards That Club has Won.
- Carolina Panthers-1
- Atlanta Falcons-1
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers-0
- New Orleans Saints-0
- Washington Commanders-2
- New York Giants-2
- Dallas Cowboys-1
- Philadelphia Eagles-0
- Green Bay Packers-7
- Minnesota Vikings-3
- Chicago Bears-1
- Detroit Lions-1
- San Francisco 49ers-4
- Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams-2
- Seattle Seahawks-1
- Arizona Cardinals-0
- Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts-7
- Tennessee Titans-1
- Houston Texans-0
- Jacksonville Jaguars-0
- New England Patriots-3
- Buffalo Bills-2
- Miami Dolphins-1
- New York Jets-0
- Cleveland Browns-3
- Cincinnati Bengals-2
- Pittsburgh Steelers-1
- Baltimore Ravens-1
- Denver Broncos-3
- Oakland/Las Vegas/Los Angeles Raiders-3
- Kansas City Chiefs-1
- San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers-1
Thanks for reading the Which NFL Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award? courtesy of Sports Teller! Please feel free to look at the other posts that cover various sports to choose from on sports-teller.com! If you like this post, please feel free to subscribe to the Sports Teller website for daily/weekly post updates! You can also follow Sports Teller on Twitter and Facebook! Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for videos about the up-to-date sports news! Sports Teller-Tell it Like it is!