Which of the Current NBA Franchises Have Never Won an MVP Award? How Close Did Those Teams Get from Winning a League MVP Award?
Hello Everyone! Welcome to Sports Teller! Today, we will be going over the latest news involving the Which NBA Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award? In fact, we will be going over the teams that have indeed won the League MVP Award. Without further adieu, let’s begin!
Which NBA Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award?
163 Views as of Thursday, June 10, 2021
Which NBA Franchises Have Yet to Receive an MVP Award?
As of 2021, only 9 teams have not won the League MVP Award: Orlando Magic, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies, Toronto Raptors, Indiana Pacers, Brooklyn Nets, Detroit Pistons, New Orleans Pelicans, and Charlotte Hornets. In fact, three of those four teams have never had a player become a finalist for the NBA MVP Award: Memphis, Toronto, and Charlotte.
All Player Stats Courtesy of Basketball Reference
Did the Magic Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2010-2011, Dwight Howard was a finalist for the MVP Award. The multi-Defensive Player of the Year winner scored nearly 23 points per contest along with 14 rebounds per game and 1.4 assists per contest. However, Howard went on to lose the MVP Award to Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls.
- In 1995-1996, Penny Hardaway finished in the Top 3 in the NBA MVP voting. He averaged nearly 22 points per contest in addition to 4 rebounds per game and 7 assists per contest. Unfortunately, Hardaway ended up losing the race against Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls.
- In 1994-1995, Shaq was a finalist for the MVP Award. The Magic star scored nearly 29.3 points per contest as well as 11.4 rebounds per game and 2.7 assists per contest. Despite guiding Orlando to the NBA Finals that season, Shaq finished as a runner-up against David Robinson of the San Antonio Spurs.
Did the Clippers Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2013-2014, Blake Griffin was a finalist for the NBA MVP Award. He scored 24.1 points per game as well as 9.5 rebounds per game and 3.9 assists per game However, Griffin would go on to lose to Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- In 2011-2012, Chris Paul finished in the Top 3 in the NBA’s MVP voting. He averaged nearly 20 points per game in addition to 4 rebounds per game and 9 assists per contest. Unfortunately, Paul lost the MVP battle to LeBron James of the Miami Heat.
Did the Pacers Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2003-2004, Jermaine O’Neal was a finalist for the NBA’s Top Player Award. He averaged at least 20 points per game in addition to 10 rebounds per game and 2 assists per game. Unfortunately, O’Neal went on to lose the MVP battle to Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Did the Nets Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2001-2002, Jason Kidd became a finalist for the NBA’s MVP Award. He scored 14.7 points per game along with 7.3 rebounds per game and 9.9 assists per game. However, Kidd ended up as a runner-up against Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs.
Did the Pistons Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 1996-1997, Grant Hill was in the Top 3 for the NBA MVP Award. He averaged at least 21 points per game as well as 9 rebounds per game and 7 assists per contest. Unfortunately, Hill would go on to lose the voting to Karl Malone of the Utah Jazz.
Did the Pelicans Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2017-2018, Anthony Davis finished in the Top 3 in the NBA’s MVP Voting. He scored 28.1 points per game along with 11.1 rebounds per game and 2.3 assists per game. However, Rockets star James Harden ended up getting the award.
Chris Paul (as Hornets)
- In 2007-2008, Chris Paul was a finalist for the NBA MVP. He scored 21.1 points per game as well as 4.0 rebounds per game and 11.6 assists per game. Unfortunately, Paul finished as a runner-up against the late Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers).
How Many Teams Have Indeed Won the League MVP Award?
Numbers Placed to Each Team Indicates How Many MVP Awards That Club has Won.
- Boston Celtics-10
- Philadelphia 76ers-6
- New York Knicks-1
- Toronto Raptors-0
- Brooklyn Nets-0
- Chicago Bulls-6
- Milwaukee Bucks-3
- Cleveland Cavaliers-2
- Indiana Pacers-0
- Detroit Pistons-0
- Miami Heat-2
- Atlanta Hawks-1 (as St. Louis Hawks)
- Washington Wizards-1 (as Baltimore Bullets)
- Orlando Magic-0
- Charlotte Hornets-0
- Los Angeles Lakers-8
- Phoenix Suns-3
- Golden State Warriors-3 (1 in Philadelphia and 2 in Oakland)
- Sacramento Kings-1 (as Cincinnati Royals)
- Los Angeles Clippers-0
- Houston Rockets-4
- San Antonio Spurs-3
- Dallas Mavericks-1
- Memphis Grizzlies-0
- New Orleans Pelicans-0
- Utah Jazz-2
- Oklahoma City Thunder-2
- Portland Trail Blazers-1
- Minnesota Timberwolves-1
- Denver Nuggets-0
Thanks for reading the Which NBA Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award? courtesy of Sports Teller! Please feel free to look at the other posts that cover various sports to choose from on sports-teller.com! If you like this post, please feel free to subscribe to the Sports Teller website for daily/weekly post updates! You can also follow Sports Teller on Twitter and Facebook! Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for videos about the up-to-date sports news! Sports Teller-Tell it Like it is!