Which of the Current MLB Franchises Have Never Won an MVP Award? How Close Did Those Teams Get from Winning a League MVP Award?
Hello Everyone! Welcome to Sports Teller! Today, we will be going over the latest news involving the Which MLB Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award? In fact, we will be going over the teams that have indeed won the League MVP Award. Without further adieu, let’s begin!
Which MLB Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award?
Which MLB Franchises Have Yet to Receive an MVP Award?
As of 2021, only three teams have not won the League MVP Award: New York Mets, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Tampa Bay Rays.
Did the Mets Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2000, New York Catcher Mike Piazza was a finalist for the NL’s Top Player Award. The Hall of Famer compiled a 0.324 batting average with 38 home runs and 113 RBIs. Despite leading the Mets to the World Series that year, Piazza went on to lose the MVP Award to Jeff Kent of the San Francisco Giants.
- In 1990, Mets OF Darryl Strawberry became a finalist for the National League’s Top Player Award. The former Rookie of the Year compiled a 0.277 batting average with 37 home runs and 108 RBIs. However, Strawberry would go on to lose the MVP Award to Barry Bonds of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- In 1988, Strawberry was a finalist for the NL’s MVP Award. He compiled a 0.269 batting average with 39 home runs and 101 runs batted in. Unfortunately, Strawberry went on to lose the MVP battle to Kirk Gibson of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- In 2007, Mets INF was in the Top 4 for the National League’s MVP Award. The Third Baseman compiled a 0.325 batting average with 30 home runs and 107 runs batted in. In fact, he won a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger that season. However, Wright would go on to lose to INF Jimmy Rollins of the Philadelphia Phillies.
- In 2006, New York OF Carlos Beltran finished in the Top 4 for the NL’s MVP Voting. He compiled a 0.275 batting average with 41 home runs and 116 RBIs. In addition, Beltran earned a Silver Slugger and a Gold Glove that season. Unfortunately, Carlos Beltran went on to lose the MVP Battle to INF Ryan Howard of the Philadelphia Phillies.
Did the Diamondbacks Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2017, Dbacks INF Paul Goldschmidt became a finalist for the National League’s Top Player Award. The First Baseman compiled a 0.297 batting average with 36 home runs and 120 runs batted in. In fact, Goldschmidt was selected to the NL All-Star Team that same year. Unfortunately, Paul Goldschmidt went on to lose to OF Giancarlo Stanton of the Miami Marlins. 2017 turned out to be the final season for Goldschmidt in a Dbacks uniform as he was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals in the off-season.
- In 2015, Paul Goldschmidt was a finalist for the NL MVP Award. He compiled a 0.321 batting average with 33 home runs and 110 RBIs in his All-Star season. However, Goldschmidt would go on to lose the MVP Award battle to OF Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals.
- In 2013, Paul Goldschmidt became a finalist for the National League’s MVP Award. The Arizona player compiled a 0.302 batting average with 36 home runs and 125 runs batted in. Despite being the All-Star that year, Goldschmidt went on to lose the voting to OF Andrew McCutchen of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- In 2001, Arizona OF Luis Gonzalez was a finalist for the NL’s Top Player Award. The World Series Hero compiled a 0.325 batting average with 57 home runs and 142 RBIs. Unfortunately, Gonzalez went on to lose the MVP battle to Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants.
- In 1999, Dbacks INF Matt Williams became a finalist for the National League’s MVP Award. The Third Baseman compiled a 0.303 batting average with 35 home runs and 142 runs batted in. Even though he joined the All-Star team that year, Williams would go on to lose to Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves.
Did the Rays Get Close from Winning the MVP Award?
- In 2010, Rays INF Evan Longoria was in the Top 6 for the American League’s MVP Award. The Third Baseman compiled a 0.294 batting average with 22 home runs and 104 runs batted in. However, the Award eventually went to OF Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers. As of 2021, this is the highest that any Rays player has ever been in terms of becoming an MVP winner.
- In 2010, Rays OF Carl Crawford finished in the Top 7 in the AL’s MVP Voting. He compiled a 0.307 batting average with 19 home runs and 90 RBIs. Even though he won the All-Star Game MVP a year prior, Rangers star Josh Hamilton ended up getting the award.
- In 2009, Rays INF Ben Zobrist was in the Top 8 for the AL’s MVP Award. He compiled a 0.297 batting average with 27 home runs and 91 RBIs. Unfortunately, Zobrist went on to lose the MVP Voting to C Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins.
- In 2008, Rays INF Carlos Pena finished in the Top 9 for the American League’s MVP Voting. The First Baseman compiled a 0.247 batting average with 31 home runs and 102 runs batted in. Despite going to the World Series that year, Pena ended up losing the voting to INF Dustin Pedroia of the Boston Red Sox.
- In 2007, Pena was in the Top 9 for the AL’s MVP Award. He compiled a 0.282 batting average with 46 home runs and 121 RBIs. Even though he lost the Award Battle to INF Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees. Pena ended up receiving the American League’s Comeback Player of the Year Honors.
How Many Teams Have Indeed Won the League MVP Award?
Numbers Placed to Each Team Indicates How Many MVP Awards That Club has Won.
AL East Division
- New York Yankees-22
- Boston Red Sox-12
- Tampa Bay Rays-0
- Toronto Blue Jays-2
- Baltimore Orioles-6 (St. Louis & Baltimore)
AL Central Division
- Cleveland Indians-3
- Minnesota Twins-8 (Washington & Minnesota)
- Chicago White Sox-4
- Kansas City Royals-1
- Detroit Tigers-12
AL West Division
- Houston Astros-2 (1 in the NL and 1 in the AL)
- Texas Rangers-6
- Seattle Mariners-2
- Los Angeles Angels-5
- Oakland Athletics-13 (Philadelphia & Oakland)
NL East Division
- Atlanta Braves-7 (Boston, Milwaukee & Atlanta)
- Miami Marlins-1 (Florida & Miami)
- New York Mets-0
- Philadelphia Phillies-7
- Washington Nationals-1
NL Central Division
- Chicago Cubs-11
- St. Louis Cardinals-20
- Cincinnati Reds-12
- Pittsburgh Pirates-8
- Milwaukee Brewers-5 (3 in the NL and 2 in the AL)
NL West Division
- Los Angeles Dodgers-14 (Brooklyn & Los Angeles)
- San Francisco Giants-14 (New York & San Francisco)
- San Diego Padres-1
- Colorado Rockies-1
- Arizona Diamondbacks-0
Thanks for reading the Which MLB Teams Have Never Won an MVP Award? courtesy of Sports Teller! Please feel free to look at the other posts that cover various sports to choose from on sports-teller.com! If you like this post, please feel free to subscribe to the Sports Teller website for daily/weekly post updates! You can also follow Sports Teller on Twitter and Facebook! Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for videos about the up-to-date sports news! Sports Teller-Tell it Like it is!