With Pat Fitzgerald Fired, Who Will be the Next Head Coach for Northwestern in 2024? Who are the Favorites to Replace Pat Fitzgerald in 2024?
Today, we will review the latest news involving the List of Candidates to Replace Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern! Before we reveal who those top candidates are, we must go over the whole story regarding Pat Fitzgerald’s firing. Without further adieu, let’s begin!
List of Candidates to Replace Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern
Full Story on Fitzgerald Being Fired as NU Wildcats Head Coach
With Pat Fitzgerald gone, now is the time for the Wildcats to interview top candidates. In fact, the recognizable applicants could be qualified to become the team’s new head coach for the 2024 season. Northwestern cut ties with Fitzgerald after 17 seasons under the helm. At the time of the firing, the football program was about a month away from its 2023 debut. Defensive Coordinator David Braun will become the interim coach for the remainder of the season. Fitzgerald lost his job due to his involvement in the university’s hazing scandal.
Pat Fitzgerald’s Career with the Northwestern Wildcats
The former coach led the club to ten bowl games and two Big Ten Championship Game appearances (2018 & 2020). The Wildcats most recently won the 2020 Citrus vs Auburn. However, NU has not played in a bowl contest nor accomplished a winning season since that campaign. In addition, the program is seeking its first placement in the Top 25 Associated Press standings since 2020 at #10.
Before his promotion to head coach in 2006, Fitzgerald worked as the team’s linebackers coach from 2002-2005. At the time of the recent coaching change, he is the winningest coach in the history of NU Wildcats football at 110. Also, Fitzgerald had three seasons where the men in purple won ten or more games.
What’s Next for the Northwestern Wildcats?
Many Wildcats football fans might wonder: Who is the leading candidate to replace Pat Fitzgerald in 2024? The top coaches in consideration listed in this article have prior coaching experience. In addition, those candidates have been on the coaching staff for at least five years. Please refer to the information below for the list of top candidates to replace Fitzgerald as Northwestern Head Coach!
Possible Candidates to Replace Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern
- UC Davis DL Coach (2015-2016)
- Northern Iowa Offense Coach (2017-2018)
- North Dakota St. DC (2019-2022)
- Northwestern DC (2023-Present)
- Northwestern Interim Coach (2023)
Top Head Coach Candidates for Northwestern to Consider
Brian Hartline-Ohio State
- Ohio State WR Coach (2018-2022)
- Buckeyes Pass Game Coordinator (2022)
- Ohio State OC (2023-Present)
- Hofstra DC (2006-2018)
- Bowling Green DC (2009-2013)
- Wake Forest DC (2014-2016)
- Notre Dame DC (2017)
- Texas A&M DC (2018-2021)
- Duke HC (2022-Present)
- Louisville TE Coach (2012-2013)
- Central Michigan TE Coach (2014-2017)
- U-M Wolverines TE Coach (2018-2020)
- Michigan OC (2021-Present)
- Michigan Interim Coach (2023)
- Alabama Graduate Assistant (2011-2014)
- Georgia ILB Coach (2016-2018)
- Georgia Co-DC (2019-Present)
Jake Dickert-Washington State
- Minnesota St. DC (2014-2015)
- South Dakota St. Safeties Coach (2016)
- Wyoming Safeties Coach (2017-2018)
- Wyoming DC (2019)
- Washington St. DC (2020-2021)
- Washington St. HC (2022-Present)
- Baylor RB Coach (2012-2016)
- Southeastern OC (2017)
- UCF QB Coach (2018)
- UCF OC (2019)
- Ole Miss OC (2020-2021)
- Oklahoma OC (2022-Present)
Leading Candidate to Replace Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern in 2024
- San Diego Chargers Offense Coach (2016)
- Notre Dame QB Coach (2017-2019)
- Notre Dame OC (2020-2022)
- Alabama OC (2023-Present)
Thanks for reading the List of Candidates to Replace Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern! We hope this article helped! Please feel free to bookmark Sports-Teller.com for daily updates! You can also share and follow Sports Teller on your favorite social media platforms!