With Mel Tucker Fired, Who Will be the Next Head Coach for Michigan State in 2024? Who are the Candidates to Replace Mel Tucker in 2024?
Today, we will review the latest news involving the List of Candidates to Replace Mel Tucker at Michigan State! Before we reveal who those top candidates are, we must go over the whole story regarding Mel Tucker’s firing. Without further adieu, let’s begin!
List of Candidates to Replace Mel Tucker at Michigan State
Full Story on Tucker Being Fired as MSU Spartans Head Coach
With Mel Tucker gone, now is the time for the Spartans to interview top candidates. In fact, the recognizable applicants could be qualified to become the team’s new head coach for the 2024 season. Michigan State terminated its relationship with Tucker after three and a quarter seasons under the helm. At the time of the firing, the football program was 2-0 to start the season (0-0 in Big Ten conference play). Defensive Backs Coach Harlon Barnett will guide the team on an interim basis. Tucker was dismissed due to sexual harassment allegations that became public in September.
Mel Tucker’s Career with the Michigan State Spartans
The former coach led the club to a 10-win season in 2021, its first accomplishment since 2017 (10-3). In fact, the men in green won that year’s Peach Bowl and finished as #9 in the Associated Press rankings. Unfortunately, the Spartans were not the same the following campaign because they finished with 5-7 in 2022. MSU is looking to appear in the top 5 standings for the first time since 2014 (#5).
Before coming to East Lansing, he had the same role for Colorado in 2019. Tucker also served as the Defensive Coordinator for Georgia (2006-2018), Chicago Bears (2014), Jacksonville Jaguars (2009-2012), Cleveland Browns (2005-2008), and Ohio State (2004). He even served as an interim coach for Jacksonville (2011) and the assistant head coach for Alabama (2015).
What’s Next for the Michigan State Spartans?
Many Spartans football fans might wonder: Who is the leading candidate to replace Mel Tucker in 2024? The top coaches in consideration listed in this article have prior coaching experience. In addition, those candidates have been on the coaching staff for at least five years. Please refer to the information below for the list of top candidates to replace Tucker as Michigan State Head Coach!
Possible Candidates to Replace Mel Tucker at Michigan State
Harlon Barnett-Michigan State
- Cincinnati DB (2004-2006)
- Michigan St. DB Coach (2007-2017)
- Florida St. DC (2018-2019)
- Michigan St. DB Coach (2020-Present)
- Michigan St. Interim Coach (2023)
Top Head Coach Candidates for Michigan State to Consider
- Nebraska-Omaha OC (2004-2006)
- Wisconsin-Whitewater HC (2007-2014)
- Buffalo HC (2015-2020)
- Kansas HC (2021-Present)
- Miami-OH DC (2003)
- Cincinnati DC (2004-2006)
- Michigan St. DC (2007-2014)
- Pittsburgh HC (2015-Present)
Jake Dickert-Washington State
- Minnesota St. DC (2014-2015)
- South Dakota St. Safeties Coach (2016)
- Wyoming Safeties Coach (2017-2018)
- Wyoming DC (2019)
- Washington St. DC (2020-2021)
- Washington St. HC (2022-Present)
- Baylor RB Coach (2012-2016)
- Southeastern OC (2017)
- UCF QB Coach (2018)
- UCF OC (2019)
- Ole Miss OC (2020-2021)
- Oklahoma OC (2022-Present)
- Louisville TE Coach (2012-2013)
- Central Michigan TE Coach (2014-2017)
- U-M Wolverines TE Coach (2018-2020)
- Michigan OC (2021-Present)
- Michigan Interim Coach (2023)
- Alabama Graduate Assistant (2011-2014)
- Georgia ILB Coach (2016-2018)
- Georgia Co-DC (2019-Present)
Leading Candidate to Replace Mel Tucker at Michigan State in 2024
- Hofstra DC (2006-2018)
- Bowling Green DC (2009-2013)
- Wake Forest DC (2014-2016)
- Notre Dame DC (2017)
- Texas A&M DC (2018-2021)
- Duke HC (2022-Present)
Thanks for reading the List of Candidates to Replace Mel Tucker at Michigan State! We hope this article helped! Please feel free to bookmark Sports-Teller.com for daily updates! You can also share and follow Sports Teller on your favorite social media platforms!