What will the Coyotes Get in Return from the Oliver Ekman-Larsson Trade? Why did the Canucks decide to trade for Ekman-Larsson?
Hello Everyone! Welcome to Sports Teller! Today, we will be going over the Coyotes Send D Oliver Ekman-Larsson to Canucks. In fact, we will be going over the career profiles for each of the players involved in the trade. Without further adieu, let’s begin!
Coyotes Send D Oliver Ekman-Larsson to Canucks
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Coyotes Star, Traded to Canucks in Major Trade
Just days before the NHL Free Agency Period (Wednesday, July 28) is set to begin, it appears that one lucky team received a star player. Coyotes Insider Craig Morgan first reported that Arizona has traded D Oliver Ekman-Larsson and RW Conor Garland to the Vancouver Canucks. The Coyotes will receive the following in return from Vancouver: LW Loui Eriksson, LW Antoine Roussel, and C Jay Beagle. The Canucks will also send the following draft picks to Arizona: #9 overall pick in 2021 NHL Draft (RW Dylan Guenther), 2022 2nd Round Selection, and 2023 7th Round Pick.
Why Did the Coyotes Trade Oliver Ekman-Larsson?
Arizona decided to trade the defenseman due to the possibility of clearing some space for the team’s salary cap. Recently, the Coyotes parted ways with Rick Tocchet as head coach and replaced him with Andre Tourigny. Meanwhile, the Canucks acquired the defenseman in order to bolster their defense rotation. With Ekman-Larsson in the fold for the Canucks, he will join forces with Vancouver’s top players like Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. Oliver Ekman-Larsson will, however, not become a free agent until after the 2026 season. With that in mind, it appears that free agency was not a factor to the trade becoming a reality.
What Was His Tenure with Arizona Like?
Oliver Ekman-Larsson has spent his entire career with the Coyotes dating back to the 2010-2011 season. He guided Arizona to two playoff appearances, including the 2012 Western Conference Finals. Ekman-Larsson is the all-time franchise leader in points by a defenseman (388 points). For the 2020-2021 season with the Coyotes, he scored 3 goals along with 21 assists (24 points).
The Players Involved in the 2021 NHL Summer Trade
Canucks Receive-2 Players
- #6 Overall Pick (1st Round) by the Coyotes in the 2009 NHL Draft
- Made NHL Debut for Phoenix in 2010
- Arizona’s All-Time Points be Defenseman Leader
- 2 Playoff Appearances: 2012 and 2020
- Led Coyotes to 2012 Western Conference Finals
- Career Postseason Stats: 2 Goals and 6 Assists (8 Points)
- 128 NHL Goals
- 260 NHL Assists
- 388 NHL Points
- #123 Overall Pick (5th Round) by the Coyotes in the 2015 NHL Draft
- Made NHL Debut for Arizona in 2018
- 1 Playoff Appearance: 2020
- Career Postseason Stats: 1 Goal and 1 Assist (2 Points)
- 47 NHL Goals
- 49 NHL Assists
- 96 NHL Points
Coyotes Receive-3 Players and 3 Draft Picks
- #33 Overall Pick (2nd Round) by the Stars in the 2003 NHL Draft
- Made NHL Debut for Dallas in 2006
- Played for Stars (2006-2013), Bruins (2013-2016), and Canucks (2016-2021)
- 2-Time Lady Byng Memorial Trophy Finalist (Sportsmanship): 2010-2011 and 2015-2016
- 3 Playoff Appearances: 2008, 2014, 2020
- Career Postseason Stats: 6 Goals and 7 Assists (13 Points)
- 250 NHL Goals
- 344 NHL Assists
- 594 NHL Points
- Joined Stars as Undrafted Free Agent in 2012
- Made NHL Debut for Dallas in 2012
- Played for Stars (2012-2018) and Canucks (2018-2021)
- 3 Playoff Appearances: 2014, 2016, 2020
- Career Postseason Stats: 4 Goals and 5 Assists (9 Points)
- 81 NHL Goals
- 108 NHL Assists
- 189 NHL Points
- Joined the Capitals as Undrafted Free Agent in 2008
- Made NHL Debut for Washington in 2009
- Played for Capitals (2009-2018) and Canucks (2018-2021)
- 2018 Stanley Cup Champion
- 8 Playoff Appearances: 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015-2018, 2020
- Career Postseason Stats: 9 Goals and 11 Assists (20 Points)
- 57 NHL Goals
- 85 NHL Assists
- 142 NHL Points
- #9 Overall Pick (1st Round) by the Coyotes in the 2021 NHL Draft
- Spent 3 Seasons with the Edmonton Oil Kings-WHL (2018-2021)
- 41 WHL Goals
- 46 WHL Assists
- 87 WHL Points
Thanks for reading Coyotes Send D Oliver Ekman-Larsson to Canucks courtesy of Sports Teller! Please feel free to look at the other posts that cover various sports to choose from on sports-teller.com! If you like this post, please feel free to subscribe to the Sports Teller website for daily/weekly post updates! You can also follow Sports Teller on Twitter and Facebook! Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for videos about the up-to-date sports news! Sports Teller-Tell it Like it is!