Since there’s no ASG in 2024 (Paris Olympics), which cities have placed bids for the 2025 WNBA All-Star Game? Who are the front-runners?
Today, we have an exciting topic lined up for you – the potential hosts for the highly anticipated 2025 WNBA All-Star Game. So without any more delay, let’s kick off this exhilarating journey together!
2025 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates
Now that the WNBA community knows about the upcoming All-Star Game, we must focus on 2025! However, before we do that, let’s take a moment to highlight the next All-Star Game and the most recent ones.
2022: The Chicago Sky hosted that year’s All-Star Weekend at Wintrust Arena, marking the first time in franchise history. Moreover, this was only the third time that the women’s All-Star Game took place in the Central Time Zone, with previous occurrences in Minneapolis in 2018 and San Antonio in 2011.
2023: Las Vegas is hosting the mid-season event for the third time in the last five years. That ties Nevada for the second most WNBA All-Star Games in league history with three, tied with New York City (3) and trailing Connecticut (4).
2024: Due to the Paris Summer Olympics, there will be no Women’s Basketball All-Star Game during the 2024 season. This has been the standard practice, as WNBA players typically forgo mid-season events during Olympic years, such as in 2016 Rio, 2012 London, and 2008 Beijing.
Let’s dive into the exciting topic of which cities could potentially host the 2025 game. Although it may seem early, it’s never too soon to start exploring the potential candidates for this prestigious future event. In fact, you’ll be pleased to know that some cities have already expressed their interest by submitting bids for the upcoming ASG Weekend! For the 2025 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates, please refer to the information below:
2025 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates:
Candidates Strongly in the Mix
Seattle, Washington (Climate Pledge Arena)
- Sports enthusiasts have been flocking to the Pacific Northwest in recent years, as it has become a popular destination for sports events. The Kraken hockey team debuted in professional hockey during the 2021-2022 season in Seattle. T-Mobile Park was the venue for the Midsummer Classic in 2013, and it will host the upcoming 2024 NHL Winter Classic featuring the Kraken and Vegas. The Climate Pledge Area has undergone a multi-year renovation to accommodate the new hockey expansion club and potentially the return of NBA basketball. If the Seattle Storm wins the opportunity to host the game in 2025, it will be the first time the mid-season event takes place in the Emerald City since 2017.
Indianapolis, Indiana (Gainbridge Fieldhouse)
- Indiana is known for its love of basketball, with the Pacers and Fever being popular professional teams. In addition, the state is home to college teams like the Hoosiers and Sycamores. Lucas Oil Stadium has hosted three Men’s Final Four events since 2010 and will host two more in 2026 and 2029. The Pacers will also be hosting the upcoming 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend. However, the Indiana Fever has never had the opportunity to host a WNBA All-Star Game in their club’s history.
Minneapolis, Minnesota (Target Center)
- The Lynx have been a thrilling team to watch in the WNBA. They won four championships in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2017; they have made it to the league finals six times. However, they lost to the Fever and the Sparks in 2012 and 2016, respectively. The State of 10,000 Lakes last hosted the Women’s ASG in 2018, but if Minneapolis secures the 2025 event, it will be the first time in years. Minnesota has a history of hosting major sporting events, such as the 2014 MLB Midsummer Classic, the Super Bowl in early 2018, and the 2022 NHL Winter Classic.
Front-Runners to Host 2025 WNBA All-Star Game
Phoenix, Arizona (Footprint Center)
- According to Duane Rankin (Arizona Republic), the Mercury plans to bid for the 2025 All-Star Weekend. The women’s basketball club is not the only local team to express interest in hosting a future mid-season event. The Suns announced their intentions to bring the NBA ASG to Downtown Phoenix by 2030. If the Mercury do get the 2025 game, they will host the event for the first time since 2014 at the then-U.S. Airways Center. Arizona has a trend of hosting some major recent sporting events, like the Super Bowl in Glendale (early 2023) and the upcoming Men’s Final Four in that city.
Brooklyn, New York (Barclays Center)
- The Barclays Center opened in 2012 and has gained a reputation as a popular sporting arena. Each year in June, it hosts the NBA Player Draft and showcases the top college prospects in the league. From 2015 to 2020, the Brooklyn facility was also the home of the New York Islanders. It is important to note that in 2021, the NY Liberty moved from Westchester County Center to the Barclays Center. This move is expected to boost the potential for hosting a future WNBA ASG, as the NBA arena has now entered the world of women’s basketball. The Brooklyn venue was also a co-site for the 2015 NBA All-Star Weekend alongside Madison Square Garden.
Los Angeles, California (Crypto.com Arena)
- The city of Hollywood is a popular sports destination on the west coast, known for hosting major championships and events. Recently, L.A. was the location of the 2022 Super Bowl featuring the Rams and Bengals. In the last few years, the Dodgers won the World Series & the Lakers took home an NBA championship in 2020. The previous Staples Center, now known as Crypto.com Arena, hosted the 2018 NBA weekend festivities. Moreover, Dodger Stadium hosted the MLB Midsummer Classic and Home Run Derby in 2022. Despite these local accomplishments, Crypto.com Arena has never hosted a WNBA All-Star Game.
Thanks for reading the 2025 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates! We hope this article helped! Please feel free to bookmark Sports-Teller.com for daily updates! You can also share and follow Sports Teller on your favorite social media platforms!