2023 NHL All-Star Game Host Candidates! Which Cities Are the Favorites to Host the All-Star Weekend in 2023? Which Arenas Could Host in 2023?
Hello Everyone! Welcome to Sports Teller! Today, we will be going over the 2023 NHL All-Star Game Host Candidates! Before we go over those candidates, we must showcase the upcoming All-Star Games for the NHL. Without further adieu, let’s begin!
2023 NHL All-Star Game Host Candidates
1,531 Views as of Tuesday, February 1, 2022
Now that the NHL community knows the upcoming All-Star Game, now is the time to look forward to 2023! But first, let’s showcase the next All-Star Game as well as the most recent ones. The Vegas Golden Knights will host the 2022 NHL All-Star Weekend at T-Mobile Arena.
The Florida Panthers were supposed to host the 2021 mid-season event at BB&T Center (Sunrise, Florida). However, the game was postponed due to the global health crisis. The Panthers will eventually host a future All-Star Game for the first time since 2003 when the arena was known as the Office Depot Center.
The 2020 NHL All-Star Game took place at the Enterprise Center in St. Louis, Missouri. It will be the third time that St. Louis hosted the All-Star Weekend and the first time since 1988.
Last but not least, the 2019 contest took place at the SAP Center in San Jose, California. In addition, the Northern California city hosted the event for the first time since 1997. Also, the Golden State hosted the NHL All-Star Game for the first time since Los Angeles in 2017.
Now, let’s talk about which cities would be eligible for the 2023 game. Even though it’s approximately two years from now, it’s never too early to discuss the candidates for the future event. Fortunately, some cities might have already placed bids for the 2023 game! For the 2023 NHL All-Star Game Host Candidates, please refer to the information below:
2023 NHL All-Star Game Host Candidates:
New Arenas/Teams Possibly in the Mix
Anaheim, California (Honda Center)
- Even though Los Angeles and San Jose hosted previous games, Anaheim is the only California NHL team that has yet to host an All-Star Game. In fact, Anaheim played in the West Finals in two of the past three seasons (2015 and 2017) and won the 2007 Stanley Cup. Perhaps the only problem that Anaheim has with hosting the game is the local competition with Disneyland. If Anaheim hosts the 2023 All-Star Game, then Honda Center would drive in some celebrity hockey fans all the way from Hollywood. In addition, it would be the first time that the NHL event takes place in Southern California since Los Angeles in 2017.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (Rogers Place)
- One of the newest arenas in the NHL, Rogers Place would be a good candidate to host a future All-Star Weekend. If the Oilers receive the 2023 game, then they would host it for the first time since 1989 at Rexall Place.
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (Bell MTS Centre)
- As of 2017, Winnipeg is the only Canadian NHL city that has yet to host an All-Star Weekend. The presence of hockey in Winnipeg rejuvenated when the Atlanta Thrashers relocated to Manitoba in 2011. If Winnipeg earns the 2023 hosting gig, then the entire NHL community would really see the Jets’ return to Winnipeg. The original franchise relocated to Phoenix to become the Arizona Coyotes in the mid-1990’s. Even though the extremely cold weather in Winnipeg could pose a problem, the city had a strong fan turnout during the Jets’ run to the Western Conference Finals in 2018.
Candidates Strongly in the Mix
Washington D.C. (Capital One Arena)
- Capital One Arena recently underwent major renovations in 2018, such as a new jumbotron, updated concourses & seating options. Also, the Washington Capitals are one of the most recognized teams in the NHL along with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom. Other than winning the Stanley Cup (2018), the nation’s capital has not hosted the NHL All-Star Game in quite a while. The 2018 MLB All-Star Game took place at Nationals Park, where the 2015 Winter Classic also occurred. If the Capitals host the game in 2023, then the mid-season event would take place in the Washington D.C. area for the first time since 1982.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Wells Fargo Center)
- With the 250th anniversary of America’s Declaration of Independence (1776) coming up, there’s a possibility that the Flyers could an All-Star game in the near future. In addition, Wells Fargo Center underwent renovations in 2018 that saw changes in concessions, seating opportunities, and social spaces. If Philadelphia lands the 2023 event, then the City of Brotherly Love will host the mid-season game for the first time since 1992. However, according to NBC Sports Philadelphia, one of the executives could see the league having the city host the All-Star Game as part of the USA’s 250th Anniversary in 2026. Speaking of 2026, the Phillies will be hosting the 2026 MLB All-Star Game that same year at Citizens Bank Park.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Scotiabank Arena)
- Over the past couple years, Toronto has been rumored to host a future All-Star Game. One of those rumors were that the city would be awarded the 2017 All-Star Game as part of the NHL’s 100-year Anniversary. However, that game ended up taking place in Los Angeles, California. Toronto recently hosted the 2016 NBA All-Star Game as well as the 2017 Centennial Classic (Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings). The hockey arena, Air Canada Centre, received a new name in August 2017 now known as Scotiabank Arena. If Toronto wins the 2023 bid, then it would be the fist time that an NHL All-Star Weekend takes place in Canada since Ottawa in 2012. In addition, Toronto would host the game for the first time since 2000.
Favorites to Host 2023 NHL All-Star Game
Sunrise, Florida (BB&T Center)
- The Florida Panthers were originally awarded the 2021 NHL All-Star Game. However, the event was cancelled for the year due to the country’s virus outbreak. However, the league did say that Sunrise would host a future All-Star Game as soon as 2023.
- If Florida earns the 2023 game, then the event will return to South Florida for the first time since 2003.
Detroit, Michigan (Little Caesar’s Arena)
- In early 2017, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said during a radio interview with 97.1 The Ticket show Stoney and Jamie that Detroit would host an upcoming All-Star Game. The commissioner also stated that Little Caesar’s Arena would host the game once surrounding construction projects around District Detroit are completed.
- The Red Wings, along with the Pistons, opened their new home (Little Caesar’s Arena) in time for the upcoming 2017-2018 season. In fact, the Pistons reportedly placed bids to host either the 2020 or 2021 NBA All-Star Game in downtown Detroit. The Motown City hosted the 2012 World Series and will host the 2018 March Madness games. If Detroit lands the 2023 Game, then the game would take place in Detroit for the first time since 1980.
Thanks for reading the 2023 NHL All-Star Game Host Candidates post courtesy of Sports Teller! Please feel free to look at the other posts that cover various sports to choose from on sports-teller.com! If you like this post, please feel free to subscribe to the Sports Teller website for daily/weekly post updates! You can also follow Sports Teller on Twitter and Facebook! Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for videos about the up-to-date sports news! Sports Teller-Tell it Like it is!