2022 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates! Which Cities Are Favored to Host the 2022 WNBA All-Star Weekend? Who Will Land the 2022 Game?
Hello Everyone! Welcome to Sports Teller! Today, we will be going over the 2022 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates! Without further adieu, let’s begin!
2022 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates
1,149 Views as of Monday, December 13, 2021
Now that the WNBA community has yet to know the future All-Star Games, now is the time to look forward to 2022! Before we can get into that, we must showcase the recent WNBA All-Star Weekends before then:
- 2021: No Game Due to the Rescheduled Tokyo Olympics
- 2020: No Game Due to Summer Olympics in Tokyo
- 2019: Las Vegas, NV
- 2018: Minneapolis, MN
- 2017: Seattle, WA
- 2016: No Game Due to Summer Olympics in Rio
- 2015: Uncasville, CT
- 2014: Phoenix, AZ
Now, let’s talk about which cities would be eligible for the 2022 game. Even though it’s approximately a year from now, it’s never too early to discuss the candidates for the future event. Some cities have already expressed interest for the 2022 game! For the 2022 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates, please refer to the information below:
2022 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates:
Los Angeles, California (Staples Center)
- Staples Center is known for hosting some of the top major sporting events in America. For instance, the venue hosted the NBA Finals in 2009 and 2010. In fact, Staples Center was the home of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012 and 2014. In addition, the venue hosted the 2017 NHL All-Star Game as well as the 2018 NBA All-Star Game. However, Staples Center has never hosted a WNBA All-Star Game in its history. If the Sparks land the 2022 game, then they would host the event for the first time ever.
Atlanta, Georgia (State Farm Arena)
- State Farm Arena, formerly known as Philips Arena, just underwent a multi year-$200 million renovation. The improvements include a new jumbotron, refurbished concourses, redesigned suites, and food options. According to FTN News, the city of Atlanta recently opened new hotels like Hyatt Place Atlanta and Waldorf Astoria Buckhead. With a renovated arena and new hotel options, that would improve the capital city of Georgia’s chances of being awarded a future All-Star Game. If Atlanta gets the 2022 game, then the city would host the event for the first time in WNBA history. Even though the Dream relocated to Gateway Center Arena for 2020, State Farm Arena would still be a great venue option for the mid-season event.
Possibly in the Mix
Chicago, Illinois (United Center)
- The United Center has a reputation for hosting major sporting events. For example, the venue is the home of the Big 10 Basketball Tournament. In fact, the United Center hosted the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010, 2013, and 2015. In addition, the venue hosted the 2011 NBA Eastern Conference Finals as well as the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. If Chicago lands the 2022 WNBA All-Star Weekend, then the Sky would host the event for the first time in club history. Despite the fact that the Sky plays at Wintrust Arena, the United Center would still be a great venue suggestion.
Dallas, Texas (American Airlines Center)
- The American Airlines Center hosted the 2011 NBA Finals as well as the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs. In fact, the venue was the home of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. Arlington (Dallas suburb) hosted the 2010 NBA All-Star Game as well as the Super Bowl in early 2011 at Cowboy Stadium. Recently, Arlington’s Globe Life Field was the home of the 2020 National League Championship Series as well as the 2020 World Series. If Dallas is awarded the 2022 WNBA All-Star Game, then the city would host the event for the first time in the league’s history. Even though the Wings play at College Park Center, the American Airlines Center might still host the event due to capacity sizes.
Unlikely to Host WNBA All-Star Game in 2022
Indianapolis, Indiana (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
- Bankers Life Fieldhouse is currently undergoing a multi-year renovation that will be completed in Fall 2022. Construction is not expected to interfere with the 2021 NBA All-Star Game in Indianapolis (which was moved to 2024). According to Indy Star, renovations include the entry pavilion’s expansion and a new ice rink as a conversion from the outdoor plaza. In recent years, Indianapolis hosted the Super Bowl in early 2012 between the Giants and Patriots. If the 2022 WNBA All-Star Game comes to Indiana, then the Fever would host the event for the first time in team history. However, this scenario seems unlikely due to the renovations taking place during the Pacers’ off-season. Therefore, Indianapolis would be a great candidate to host a future WNBA All-Star Weekend as soon as 2023.
Check Out Our Food Concessions Articles on NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, College Football!
Thanks for reading the 2022 WNBA All-Star Game Host Candidates post courtesy of Sports Teller! Please feel free to look at the other posts that cover various sports to choose from on sports-teller.com! If you like this post, please feel free to subscribe to the Sports Teller website for daily/weekly post updates! You can also follow Sports Teller on Twitter and Facebook! Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for videos about the up-to-date sports news! Sports Teller-Tell it Like it is!